Sunday, July 27, 2008

The EasyBeats: Friday on my Mind



As I was born in 1960, there are any number of songs from that decade that I have known all my life. Often I could not tell you who sang them, though the answer often turns out to be The Hollies or Manfred Mann, which suggest those two bands are somewhere near the top of the 1960s second division of singles bands. (The first being The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Spencer Davis Group and The Zombies. Discuss.)

This is one of those songs, and it turns out to be by an Australian band, The EasyBeats. Given that Australia's greatest contribution to 1960s pop was the well-scrubbed folk of The Seekers, it is remarkable how "Friday on my Mind" looks forward to punk and new wave.

One interesting trivial point: the EasyBeats' guitarist George Young is the older brother of Angus Young from AC/DC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gary Moore did a great cover of this too.