Friday, October 03, 2014

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Pardoe's Old and Fruity

The end of another week at Bonkers Hall.

Sunday

When we Liberal Democrats do abolish the trolls on the Severn Bridge, I anticipate that many of my readers will visit that delightful part of the world. There is, however, one phenomenon that occurs there of which you should beware.

I came across it myself years ago when I visited a hostelry in a Gloucestershire village. There I was enjoying a party of Pardoe's Old and Fruity vintage scrumpy when a fellow in an anorak sat down next to me. His opening gambit was: “We came third in this ward at the by-election, but if we get the same swing at the next District elections we will move into second place in three more wards.” He then went on to describe how he divided up the delivery rounds, the problems he was having with his offset litho and… Well, by then I had fallen fast asleep.

When I awoke I opened a speculative eye and found the fellow had gone. “I am afraid you have met the Severn Bore,” said the barman.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South-West 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary...

  • Abolishing the trolls on the Severn Bridge
  • Danny Alexander in the gym
  • Chevening Oil PLC
  • The Well-Behaved Orphans' quiz
  • Call Clegg
  • The Democratic Republic of Rutland
  • No comments: